This section will give you instruction for installing the sensor attachment (mounting) pad or wireless vibration sensor using a 2-part Loctite adhesive.
- Steps for installing the attachment pad
- Understand mounting options and common solutions
An attachment pad is generally used for most installations. This could be either a Quick-Connect pad (2-part) and Standard pad (requires tool to mount sensor), or the wireless sensor with the glue-mount pad.
Other pads and other types of adhesives are possible, the below-linked "Mounting Options for Watchman 360 Vibration Programs" document discusses the four most common mounting configuration solutions for various sensors.
To install mounting pads, including wireless sensors mounts, standard AK-BR triaxial pads, single-axis mounts, and quick-connect pads, you will need a couple of tools:
- Number of attachment pads
- Loctite 7387 activator and Loctite 330 (or 325) adhesive
- Flat file or other grinding tool
- Wiping rags
- Number of mounting pad caps or covers (if applicable)
The process for attachment pad installation:
- Identify the bearing location for the attachment pad or sensor (per VTAG). Ensure it is a good transmission path and follow guidelines.
- Remove paint for metal to metal contact under attachment pad.
- Use the wiping rag to clean the paint-free area.
- Use the wiping rag to remove any machining oil residue on the pad.
- Apply the activator on both surfaces. Let the activator get a little tacky by waiting about a minute.
- Apply a small, pea-sized drop of the adhesive to the back of the attachment pad.
- Orient the attachment pad per the VTAG and place on machine location.
- Hold the attachment pad/sensor in place for about a minute until the pad is well bonded.
- Let the pad fully cure (between 3 to 30 minutes depending on environment and age of the adhesive kit.
- Cover the attachment pad with the cap to protect the pad. Install a wireless sensor tether if desired.